Thursday, November 20, 2014

A Few Tips to the Aspiring

So can someone please tell me where the crap November went, we're already in the last 3rd of the month? Seriously I only just looked at the date for today just now and did a double take. Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays so that is the silver lining for me at least.

I've done a post already about surviving the trials of being a trainer when you first start out. I figured I could probably offer a little bit more through my experiences in the last year or so, mostly consisting of mistakes or things I could have done better. Might not be the best advice but hopefully I can save 1 soul from losing their bananas.

1. Workaholics be warned- I would not consider myself a workaholic, but I'm not a bum either so I do believe I work hard. There is such thing as working too much, in this field especially. I've made the mistake in the last year+ trying to train too many clients, I know it sounds bass-ackwards right? I would train upwards of 40 hours a week, some days I'd jam in up to 6 hours straight of training, dumb. Yeah I know you can do YOUR job for 6 hours straight, but having to keep my energy levels up, stay locked in for 5-6 clients and a group class so no one gets hurts isn't quite a walk in the park.

Staying with that, when you're a trainer and have an open schedule like I do, and train 35-40+ hours a week you hardly have time for yourself and others in your life. Mostly because you aren't just away from home for just those 35-40 hours, you still have to hang around 30 minutes to an hour, waiting for the next client which can just be a drain. I am and was lucky enough to live close enough to my facility, that I could jet home and chill for a bit, not so much for others. Down time is key here because if you are constantly wound up and stressed the hell out there will be exactly 0 people that will want to be around you, I promise, and that's not great for business.

I acknowledge that I've stated before beggars can not be choosers, yeah congratulations you remember. When you get to the point where you aren't a beggar and have not been for some time, you can probably afford to be a bit pickier and save some sanity. My buddy Mike gave me this advice after he saw me just grind myself into the floor, 30 hours is solid, 35 should be the max for my own health and also because the programming turns to trash, no one wins there.



2. Schedule smarter-A couple things to try to avoid as far as your scheduling goes, I'm saying try, it won't always happen, just make it happen less frequently. If you know for a fact you have a session that will end later than 7 PM try not to kill yourself with a a handful of clients starting at 6 AM the next morning. Your sleep will SUFFER and then it turns into a slippery slope. Another thing I would reconsider is how many sessions in a row you train. I'm usually ready to exhale after about 4 hours in a row so I try to stay away from that.

It's OK to say no to clients, they'll understand, and if they don't well tough shit. I've acquired myself quite the solid base of regular clients so I usually have a pretty good idea of where my breaks will lie and where I absolutely don't want someone to schedule me. I will say the front desk staff at my facility does me many solids by keeping me out of the 'too many in a row' situation and letting me have my breathing room when I need it. My schedule isn't as fat as it once was, but I know my limits and usually have a good idea of what I'm dealing with when my check comes.

Hopefully the above helps someone out there keep their brain in order so they don't hate the world. May not apply to everyone, but I just hope it saves a few lifeforms from falling over.

That's all I got today kiddos, go out there and get after it!

No comments:

Post a Comment