Tuesday, April 16, 2013

BOSTON UNITE!


"You watch the videos of the carnage and there are people running TOWARDS the destruction to help out. ... This is a giant planet and we're lucky to live on it but there are prices and penalties incurred for the daily miracle of existence. One of them is, every once in awhile, the wiring of a tiny sliver of the species gets snarled and they're pointed towards darkness.
But the vast majority stands against that darkness and, like white blood cells attacking a virus, they dilute and weaken and eventually wash away the evil doers and, more importantly, the damage they wreak. This is beyond religion or creed or nation. We would not be here if humanity were inherently evil. We'd have eaten ourselves alive long ago.
So when you spot violence, or bigotry, or intolerance or fear or just garden-variety misogyny, hatred or ignorance, just look it in the eye and think, "The good outnumber you, and we always will."

Above is the passage by Patton Oswalt, a very funny comedian that has shown that he's not just good at words to make you laugh. It was originally posted on Facebook  but since has gone more viral than that, I figured I probably wasn't going to beat it in this post so I'd give the best foot forward here.
To state it, I'm OK (clearly) and was not bodily hurt nor was Catherine. Nobody directly in my life has been hurt in the events of yesterday. To those that have been impacted directly or even indirectly I send you my thoughts and prayers. I will come out and say I myself am rattled, but at the same time I am also inspired by those first responders yesterday. We've heard some great heroing tales and I know there will be many more, deservedly so. Those stories can inspire us to be stronger people and make us better.


I was not born here and only moved here last January, but I am a Bostonian in my heart. Growing up in Maine Boston wasn't all too far away and I still felt it to be a part of me, now I call this my home. Those of you that have had your faith in humanity put into question, please just look all over the media and social networking sites to see the support that Boston is getting. I saw the picture above and it was the first thing that brought a good smile to my face, besides when Catherine walked through the doors here at the club, her work place is above Copley Mall, LITERALLY RIGHT THERE. One of her coworkers wasn't more than throwing distance from one of the blasts and the kid was quite shaken. Made me super happy to see her walking through the doors and I was put a little at ease even before that when I heard she had bumped into one of my teammates on her way here and he took care of her while she walked her, thanks Ben!
Despite all of this senseless, mindless, pointless lunacy, I know it will bring us to be stronger and keep those we hold close, tight to us, in mind and body, and be sure to tell the ones we care about we love them. Stand together everyone, this shit can not stray us, it's tough to get past, but this is a damn tough town and it can be done. I am, hell we are, forever Boston and damn proud of it!
Take care today folks, be safe and if you are with someone you care about right now, tell them so.

No comments:

Post a Comment